IAM offers certification to mediators who voluntarily choose to verify compliance with its:
- standards of conduct -- IAM Model Standards of Conduct for Mediators and
The yearly fee for certification is $50. Mediators who have been certified may maintain a link to this website with their certification and professional information at no charge.
Membership in IAM is a requirement for Certification. The membership fee is $50 per year. Membership in IAM is open to any individual whether certification is desired or not. Apply for Membership.
STATEMENT OF INTENT:
It is the desire of the Iowa Association of Mediators (IAM) that people have access to competent mediation services. The following guidelines are intended to encourage mediators to meet a standard of competence and ethical responsibility, to contribute to the professionalism of the field, to educate the public as to what can be expected of a mediator.
A. Scope of the Guidelines
The following sets forth eligibility requirements for certification by the Iowa Association of Mediators.
B. Application for Certification as a Mediator
1. An applicant for certification may make application to IAM using the IAM Application for Certification.
2. An applicant for certification shall verify relevant experience and qualifications sufficient to support certification.
3. Documentation required to complete the IAM Application for Certification:
a. statement of relevant experience and educational background;
b. statement of successful completion of appropriate mediation training for level of certification required;
c. statement of fields of practice;
d. statement of adherence to the Iowa Association of Mediators Model Standards of Conduct for Mediators.
e. statement of adherence to the Iowa Association of Mediators Guidelines for Certification of Mediators (this document);
f. list of references (including at least one trainer or mentor of the applicant);
g. statement of agreement to take part in at least six (6) hours per year of continuing education related to stated field of mediation practice;
h. statement of agreement to maintain documentation;
i. statement verifying accuracy of information contained in application;
j. statement verifying professional liability insurance coverage
4. Request for IAM Certification shall be accompanied by a yearly fee of $50 payable to IAM.
5. An initial payment of the $50 fee made prior to January 1, 2004 pays for the certification until January 1, 2005. After January 1, 2005, any new (or lapsed) certification payment of $50 will cover the fee until the following January 1st regardless of the date of the (re)certification.
6. Applications for certification shall be acted upon by IAM.
7. A web site link is available at no additional charge to each IAM certified mediator for use as an individual, professional web page. This web page may include the Application for Certification information and any additional information of the individual member's choice.
C. Training Requirements
1. General Mediation: an applicant for certification in General Mediation must verify successful completion of a minimum of 25 hours of basic mediation training offered by an IAM approved program (see Iowa Approved Trainers on website for list).
2. Divorce and Family Mediation: an applicant for certification in divorce and family mediation must verify successful completion of a minimum of 40 hours of mediation training offered by an IAM approved divorce and family mediation training program (see Iowa Approved Trainers on website for list) plus an additional four hours of training or education in screening for and dealing with domestic violence.
D. Observation and Co-Mediation Requirements
1. General Mediation: applicants will have successfully completed:
a. observation of at least two complete cases conducted by experienced mediators, or where applicants are unable to meet the requirement of two observations, successful completion of certified training in mediation practice during which the applicant is observed by at least one mediation trainer or mentor in at least two role plays simulating mediation scenarios appropriate to general mediation, or
b. co-mediation of at least two complete cases with experienced mediators.
2. Divorce and Family Mediation/Specialized Fields of Mediation: Applicants must verify successful completion of:
a. observation of at least two complete cases conducted by experienced mediators; or where applicants are unable to meet the requirement of two observations, successful completion of certified training in mediation practice during which the applicant is observed by at least one mediation trainer or mentor in at least two roles plays simulating mediation scenarios appropriate to the specialized field, or
b. co-mediation of at least two complete Divorce and Family Mediation cases with experienced mediators.
Re-certification as an IAM mediator providing general or specialized mediation services will be for a period of one year from January 1st to December 31st. Continuing education shall be reasonably related to the mediator’s general or specialized field of mediation. The mediator shall agree to maintain documentation supporting provided information.
To be re-certified:
1. a certified mediator will verify attendance at IAM approved training (see Iowa Approved Trainers on website for list), and/or continuing mediation education workshops, conference or similar activities, totaling not less than six hours. The six hours shall include at least one hour in mediation ethics and one hour in domestic abuse and power imbalance issues. Up to 12 continuing education hours may be accumulated and applied to certification requirements in the following two years.
2. Request for IAM re-certification shall be accompanied by a yearly fee of $50 payable to IAM. This re-certification fee of $50 is due each January 1st. Any new payment of $50 will cover the fee until the following January 1st regardless of the date of the re-certification.
3. Applications for re-certification shall be acted upon by IAM.